Friday, July 15, 2011

Cell Phones and Brain Tumors

To begin this post, I must give a disclaimer: I am not a cancer researcher, so my observations on this matter are at best cursory.

Today, at the Huffington Post, I stumbled across this article: No Cell Phone-Brain Tumor Link, Latest Study Finds. The study was conducted in Denmark, finding no real link between the two things, as opposed to a recent classification by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) that cell phones do cause cancer.

This is dangerous science: it is a battle of misinformation and I think the press has a duty to prevent premature story-breaking. We haven't had the technology of mobile phones long enough to link the use to brain cancer. What is harder is to compare usage over a population that doesn't use the devices (of many different makes, shapes, and sizes) uniformly.

A bombastic and sensational headline is not informative and causes reactions that are exaggerated (like throwing a cancer-phone into the river).

I have a mild suggestion: Let's wait a few more years (or 5 or 10) before we start pointing the finger at cell phones. Just think--we might not need to put it next to our ears in the future with Bluetooth or headsets.

2 comments:

Josh said...

"we might not need to put it next to our ears in the future with Bluetooth or headsets." - So I won't get cancer from Bluetooth radiation? Are you suggesting I just leave the phone in my pocket with a Bluetooth headset and get testicular cancer from the phone near my balls? Honestly man, your suggestion is what is premature!

Alex said...

Yes. That is exactly what I'd like you to do.