Friday, April 3, 2009

Fox News is on Top...? (LINK)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/01/fox-news-claims-9-of-top_n_181878.html

This is shocking to me. How is that a cable channel where facts and logic are optional wins ratings battles for cable and has the top 9 shows in cable news? I do not understand this. Obama wins by a large margin, by a huge electoral vote margin, along with the popular vote, and Congress gains huge Democratic majorities, a mandate if you will to change Washington. It is no secret Fox has been and is a cheerleader for the Bush Administration and Republicans. Only a few times have I seen on that channel a break from talking points or accountability toward the Republican party. Bush chose his interviews wisely, and most of the time it was on Fox. So how did Fox do it?

Because now there are not the cheerleaders. They now get to be the channel of the regular folk, not beholden to any major authority in politics. But none of the personalities have changed, save for Glenn Beck. How does that work when Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly are backing up President Bush's choice to enter Iraq to criticizing Obama for his own policies? Sure, they might not agree, but the viewers should not have changed. If you hated liberals and liked Bush, then you watched Fox. If you hate liberals and like Republicans, then you watch Fox. Where's the disconnect? Where do the increased viewership come from?

I watch all three cable news channels (basically whichever doesn't have a commercial on), and I can't see why anybody would want to watch Billo the Clown, Hannity the manatee, or Glenn "I'm fucking crazy" Beck. It is too bad people fall for this trap of pure populism. I can understand staunch conservatives watch Fox, but normal folk is just ridiculous. This is what adds to the ignorance of Americans, our ethnocentrism, and our arrogance toward the rest of the world.

People need to stop giving Fox the respect it doesn't deserve in the form of ratings. I hope it changes and Fox makes some changes.

1 comment:

Nati said...

"How is that a cable channel where facts and logic are optional wins ratings battles for cable?"

I can understand your frustration about this but I can't really say I understand your bafflement.

Unless the ratings reality is drastically different in the US than is in Israel (or in Australia), the answer to your question is that people enjoy watching drivel. In news as well as in other general entertainment. Facts and logic don't traditionally factor into this equation. It may have to do with the fact that (from the little I've seen) Fox News is more frenetic and manic than its competitors, and uses flashier lights and louder noises. I'm not sure ideology even factors into this. Fox is better entertainment, by the bizzare viewership taste that catapulted shows like Friends and Everybody Likes Raymond to the top (forgive me - I haven't been following ratings in the latter years).

Also, Bill O'Reilly is funny.